This recipe for natural hand and shower wash is seriously amazing and with 5 ingredients, you can’t go wrong!
Enough with the chemicals hiding in even so-called ‘eco’ and ‘green’ brands. Fragrance, Phenoxyethanol, Cocamidopropyl Betaine – all ingredients we need to steer clear of.
Read this blog post for some more info on chemicals to avoid. If you have a spare 2 minutes, whip up this natural hand and shower wash, your body and the planet will give you a big high-five for it!
Creamy Body Wash
Makes: 380 g | 13.4 oz Prep Time: < 5 min.
50 g | 1.8 oz hot water (see recipe notes)
25 g | 0.9 oz coconut oil (the type that solidifies)
1 tsp xanthan gum
200 g | 7.1 oz water – additional (see recipe notes)
100 g | 3.5oz liquid castile soap
30-50 drops of essential oils
My choice of essential oils…
My favourite essential oils in this recipe are peppermint and orange, but don’t be limited by my suggestions. Use oils that fit your budget, or those that you already have in your collection. Read here for more information.
1. Add hot water, coconut oil and xanthan gum to a bowl and whisk until smooth and combined.
2. Add remaining ingredients and whisk again, either by hand or with an electric beater, until mixture is light and fluffy. This could take quite a few minutes if you’re whisking by hand. Periodically, scrape mixture down from sides of bowl.
3. Transfer into soap dispenser.
Thermal Appliance Method
1. Add hot water, coconut oil and xanthan gum to thermal appliance bowl and mix for 5-10 seconds on medium/high speed, or until smooth and combined.
2. Add remaining ingredients and mix for 5-10 seconds on medium/high speed. Scrape down sides and repeat if required, until ingredients are combined.
3. Using a silicone spatula, make sure all of the xanthan gum is unstuck from around the blades, and scrape down sides of bowl.
4. Mix again for 5-10 seconds on medium/high speed, or until mixture becomes light and fluffy.
5. Transfer into soap dispenser.
Dispense body wash as required and massage over body. Rinse with warm water.
Water should be distilled, purified or pre-boiled and cooled to extend shelf life.
It’s so important to ensure you’re mixing the xanthan gum fully into the mixture.
You may need a wide-mouth funnel to get the mixture into your dispenser. I found that using a skewer to gently swirl/push the mixture through a funnel helped a lot.
Author, Advocate & Founder
Krissy wants to see a world where people make conscious, educated decisions that honour both humans and habitat. With a background in education and health promotion, she devotes her time to passionately increase awareness on common and avoidable toxins, in everyday items like washing powder and deodorant, and to educate individuals on how they can easily reduce their daily exposure, through simple and realistic do-it-yourself ideas and recipes.
Krissy has sold over 40,000 copies of her natural DIY recipe books, including her award-winning book, Naturally Inspired - Simple DIY Recipes for Body Care and Cleaning, and her newly-released kids book, Make & Play - Natural DIY Recipes for Kids. She offers honest and gentle guidance, education and 100+ natural DIY recipes on her website The Inspired Little Pot.