This recipe for natural hand and shower wash is seriously amazing and with 5 ingredients, you can’t go wrong!
Enough with the chemicals hiding in even so-called ‘eco’ and ‘green’ brands. Fragrance, Phenoxyethanol, Cocamidopropyl Betaine – all ingredients we need to steer clear of.
Read this blog post for some more info on chemicals to avoid. If you have a spare 2 minutes, whip up this natural hand and shower wash, your body and the planet will give you a big high-five for it!
Creamy Body Wash
Makes: 380 g | 13.4 oz Prep Time: < 5 min.
50 g | 1.8 oz hot water (see recipe notes)
25 g | 0.9 oz coconut oil
1 tsp xanthan gum
200 g | 7.1 oz water – additional (see recipe notes)
100g | 3.5oz liquid castile soap
30-50 drops of essential oils
My choice of essential oils…
My favourite essential oils in this recipe are peppermint and orange, but don’t be limited by my suggestions. Use oils that fit your budget, or those that you already have in your collection. Read here for more information.
1. Add hot water, coconut oil and xanthan gum to a bowl and whisk until smooth and combined.
2. Add remaining ingredients and whisk again, either by hand or with an electric beater, until mixture is light and fluffy. This could take quite a few minutes if you’re whisking by hand. Periodically, scrape mixture down from sides of bowl.
3. Transfer into soap dispenser.
Thermal Appliance Method
1. Add hot water, coconut oil and xanthan gum to thermal appliance bowl and mix for 5-10 seconds on medium/high speed, or until smooth and combined.
2. Add remaining ingredients and mix for 5-10 seconds on medium/high speed. Scrape down sides and repeat if required, until ingredients are combined.
3. Using a silicone spatula, make sure all of the xanthan gum is unstuck from around the blades, and scrape down sides of bowl.
4. Mix again for 5-10 seconds on medium/high speed, or until mixture becomes light and fluffy.
5. Transfer into soap dispenser.
Dispense body wash as required and massage over body. Rinse with warm water.
- Water should be distilled, purified or pre-boiled and cooled to extend shelf life.
- It’s so important to ensure you’re mixing the xanthan gum fully into the mixture.
- You may need a wide-mouth funnel to get the mixture into your dispenser. I found that using a skewer to gently swirl/push the mixture through a funnel helped a lot.
- I strongly suggest you check out the blog posts under “Recommended Reading”.
Author, Advocate & Founder
With a background in health promotion, Krissy's passion is to educate and increase awareness on reducing the number of toxins that people expose themselves to on a daily basis, through an honest, simple and realistic approach.
She has sold over 20,000 self-published books and is now published as the author of Naturally Inspired, Simple DIY Recipes for Body Care and Cleaning.
Her recipes have taken her to the screen on more than one occasion, with morning TV appearances, and she received recognition as a ‘Woman Who Will Change The World’ in the AusMumpreneur business awards in 2018.