This recipe for puff paint is an adaptation of something I used to do with my Early Childhood Studies students, back in my teaching heyday! It is fun, non-toxic and is easily made with common pantry ingredients.
This activity is a fun way to fill some time on the school holidays; my kids are occupied for at least 45 minutes being creative and crafty!
Makes: 420 g | 14.8 oz Prep time: 10-15 min. (for kids)
150 g | 5.3 0z water (see recipe notes)
150 g | 5.3 oz fine salt
80 g | 2.8 oz self-raising flour
40 g | 1.4 oz arrowroot flour
Colourant (as much as you like; can be liquid or powder, but liquid is best)
1. Weigh the water, salt, self-raising flour and arrowroot flour into a medium mixing bowl.
2. Mix really well, until the mixture is smooth and there are no lumps left.
3. Divide the mixture evenly between 5 squeeze-style containers and add a different colouring to each one, then shake well (or use a paddle-pop stick to jiggle and stir).
⭐🧑🍳 For general information on using a thermal appliance (or microwave), click here.
Squeeze different patterns onto paper, and then you have 3 choices:
- Pop your paper in the microwave for 5-10 seconds (for the best puffy result).
- Place your paper in the oven (200 ˚C) for 5 min (don’t take your eyes off it!).
- Let your paint air dry.
Water should be distilled, purified or pre-boiled and cooled to extend shelf life.
This paint should last for a few weeks.
Over time, if the mixture thickens in the bottle, just add a little splash of water and shake well.
Author, Advocate & Founder
Krissy wants to see a world where people make conscious, educated decisions that honour both humans and habitat. With a background in education and health promotion, she devotes her time to passionately increase awareness on common and avoidable toxins, in everyday items like washing powder and deodorant, and to educate individuals on how they can easily reduce their daily exposure, through simple and realistic do-it-yourself ideas and recipes.
Krissy has sold over 40,000 copies of her natural DIY recipe books, including her award-winning book, Naturally Inspired - Simple DIY Recipes for Body Care and Cleaning, and her newly-released kids book, Make & Play - Natural DIY Recipes for Kids. She offers honest and gentle guidance, education and 100+ natural DIY recipes on her website The Inspired Little Pot.