Magnesium Oil is pretty wonderful and definitely a simpler recipe to make, but when you need to target tense shoulders or restless legs, magnesium gel is definitely easier to apply! I incorporate magnesium into my body care routine, and I also take a powder supplement, and as a result, I honestly have never felt better: less tension, less headaches, better sleep – who wouldn’t want all of that!
Low magnesium levels are typically diagnosed by symptoms as it is hard to get an accurate gauge through blood tests alone. Here are a few symptoms of magnesium deficiency:
- Depression and anxiety
- Insomnia, difficulty sleeping
- Restless legs
- Low blood pressure
- Headaches, migraines, cluster headaches
- Muscles aches and pains
- Hair loss
So, if you have already discovered the wonders of magnesium oil, you will absolutely appreciate the awesomeness of this recipe. If you’re yet to try adding magnesium to your life, I highly encourage you give it a go. Magnesium oil has a tendency of causing a mild tingling feeling, however, I find this gel recipe to be a lot less tingly. As far as I am aware, magnesium is safe to apply on all ages, and during pregnancy (but, if you’re doubtful, do your own research).
Makes: 200 g | 7 oz Prep time: < 5 min.
100g | 3.5 oz magnesium chloride flakes
1 tsp (flat, approx 2g) xanthan gum
100g | 3.5 oz hot water
20-30 drops essential oils
My choice of essential oils…
My favourite essential oils in this recipe are lemon and
1. Combine magnesium chloride flakes and xanthan gum in a bowl and mix until well combined.
2. Add hot water and mix quickly until ingredients are well distributed, smooth and combined.
3. Add essential oils and mix well.
4. Transfer into
Apply apply to areas of body that hold tension, such as shoulders and back, and
- Water should be distilled, purified or pre-boiled and cooled to extend shelf life.
- If the tingly feeling doesn’t subside or it bothers you too much, rinse it off.
- Check out my Magnesium Oil and Whipped Magnesium Cream recipes too!
- I strongly suggest you check out the blog posts under “Recommended Reading”.
Author, Advocate & Founder
With a background in health promotion, Krissy's passion is to educate and increase awareness on reducing the number of toxins that people expose themselves to on a daily basis, through an honest, simple and realistic approach.
She has sold over 20,000 self-published books and is now published as the author of Naturally Inspired, Simple DIY Recipes for Body Care and Cleaning.
Her recipes have taken her to the screen on more than one occasion, with morning TV appearances, and she received recognition as a ‘Woman Who Will Change The World’ in the AusMumpreneur business awards in 2018.