I adapted my popular washing powder recipe to create this liquid laundry detergent version, purely for those of you who have machines that don’t take
It’s a slightly messier and longer process to make and I personally prefer the powder (but my machine takes either). In saying that, this is a great liquid that produces great results.
In fact, I can’t tell the difference in results between powder/liquid. And with no soap suds, this formula is suitable for front and top loader washing machines.
Makes: 6.9 lt | 1.8 gal Prep time: < 5 min.
1.2 lt | 40.6 fl oz Soapberry Master Stock
4.5 lt | 1.2
2 cups | 520 g | 18.3 oz sodium carbonate (washing soda)
2 cups | 440 g | 15.5 oz borax
1 cup | 280 g | 9.9 oz fine salt
2-3 drops of essential oils (optional, per use)
My choice of essential oils…
My favourite essential oils in this recipe are lemon and
1. Make a batch of Soapberry Master Stock. Don’t allow it to cool.
2. Pour hot master stock and hot water into a bucket and mix until combined.
3. Add remaining ingredients and mix until powdered ingredients have dissolved.
4. Transfer into
Pour approximately 1 cup of liquid directly into
Want to ditch the borax?
While I am comfortable using natural borax for cleaning applications (check out this blog post), you might prefer to avoid it. If so, just leave it out – simple. I don’t notice a difference in cleaning results.
- If you are unable to make the Soapberry Master Stock, substitute it with 2 cups | 280 g | 9.9 oz fine soap powder and 1 lt | 33.8 fl oz hot water, dissolved. Note that this will result in a much thicker, gel-like liquid, which you can dilute further with water if required. I recommend sourcing the purest laundry soap you can find – check the ingredients panels and watch for fragrance especially. I use pure coconut soap
powder,or castile soap powder. If you are buying soap in a block, make sure it is milled to a very fine consistency.
- If you’re after an extra cleaning boost, add 1 tablespoon of sodium percarbonate per load.
- I strongly suggest you check out the blog posts under “Recommended Reading”.
Author, Advocate & Founder
With a background in health promotion, Krissy's passion is to educate and increase awareness on reducing the number of toxins that people expose themselves to on a daily basis, through an honest, simple and realistic approach.
She has sold over 20,000 self-published books and is now published as the author of Naturally Inspired, Simple DIY Recipes for Body Care and Cleaning.
Her recipes have taken her to the screen on more than one occasion, with morning TV appearances, and she received recognition as a ‘Woman Who Will Change The World’ in the AusMumpreneur business awards in 2018.