The more we look into natural body care and cleaning alternatives, the more we realise that Mother Nature really is giving us so much of what we need – with minimal processing. When an ingredient like castile soap can be used for body care and cleaning, why would anyone feel the need to buy multiple different mainstream products, many containing questionable ingredients (read here for my watch list of common personal care and cleaning toxins)? It’s a no-brainer for me!
So, what is castile soap anyway?
Castile soap, in its traditional sense, is basically a soap made from olive oil. It got its name from the region of Spain where it was first made, thousands of years ago. Nowadays, castile soap is made in both liquid and solid form using mostly olive oil and usually a combination of other vegetable oils like coconut, soybean, jojoba, hemp, or palm.
Why do I love it so much?
Where do I even start?!! Well, castile soap is:
- completely biodegradable
- non-toxic and hypoallergenic – people intolerant to soaps can usually tolerate castile soap
- mild to skin, and when made with only olive oil, won’t strip the skin of its natural oils
- so versatile (as you’ll see below!)
So, you’ve got your hands on some castile soap, now what?
Just search the word ‘castile’ on my website and you’ll see just how often I use it in a recipe, or refer to its awesomeness. Body care and cleaning – you’re covered with castile soap. I just love myself an ingredient that is so natural and oh-so-versatile!
Here are a few examples to inspire you:
- Simple DIY foaming washes like these will eliminate several unnecessary and undesirable ingredients from your personal care routine (if you’re currently buying mainstream hand, body and face wash, that is). Foaming washes are my favourite and simplest recipes, and where I send most newbies looking to give DIY a go!
- I also have a gorgeous, luscious Thick and Creamy Body Wash for those of you that like it that way.
- A little castile soap, coconut oil and hot water (plus 5 drops of essential oils) and you’ve got yourself a gorgeous, nourishing Make-Up Remover.
- A squirt of castile soap and hot water in your kitchen sink is literally all you need to wash dishes. Wash, rinse in fresh water, and you’re good to go.
- This Cleaning Paste is super versatile and simple to make. It will replace supermarket cleaning pastes, and is just as effective.
- What about those pesky spills/stains on the carpet or couch? There isn’t a one-solution-fixes-all here, and stains are best dealt with immediately. Here are a few general tips:
- Remove any debris and blot (don’t rub) with a paper towel.
- Then, in a small bowl, add ¼ cup of water and 1 teaspoon of liquid castile soap and mix until combined.
- Dip a soft toothbrush into the solution and brush gently over the stain – work from the outside in to prevent spreading the stain further. Repeat this a few times if necessary.
- Then, blot again and allow to dry.
- Clean your oven naturally and wash it down with hot water and a little castile soap. So much better than oven cleaners that contain butane, propane, sodium hydroxide and who-knows-what-else!
- I even use castile soap in my Natural Homemade Pest Repellent.
So where do you find castile soap?
Author, Advocate & Founder
With a background in health promotion, Krissy's passion is to educate and increase awareness on reducing the number of toxins that people expose themselves to on a daily basis, through an honest, simple and realistic approach.
She has sold over 20,000 self-published books and is now published as the author of Naturally Inspired, Simple DIY Recipes for Body Care and Cleaning.
Her recipes have taken her to the screen on more than one occasion, with morning TV appearances, and she received recognition as a ‘Woman Who Will Change The World’ in the AusMumpreneur business awards in 2018.